The Richards-Hart Estate is located at W. 28th Ave. and Benton St., two blocks west of Sheridan. The Estate was purchased by the City of Wheat Ridge in 1976 for approximately $200,000. The Italianate architecture styled home evolved from a country residence, known as Lake Side that was built to overlook Sloans Lake. It is now an ideal setting for weddings, receptions, parties, and meetings. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 5, 1977.
James W. Richards originally purchased 160 acres in 1869 and built the house in the early 1870's. Richards came to Colorado to look for gold but prospered as an entrepreneur. He was a successful orchardist and wheat farmer as well as a prominent and active citizen in the early Wheat Ridge community. He was an officer of the School Board District No. 8 and a delegate to the Republican State Convention in 1882.
Renovation After purchasing the property in 1976, the City of Wheat Ridge did extensive remodeling in the Gothic Renaissance and East Lake traditions with chandeliers, rosettes, and copper work highlighting the period restoration. The restoration was partially funded through State Historical Society grant funds.